background

Monday, June 21, 2010

Writing project entry 2


While I realize that this blog is about projects, it's been mostly about running and fitness. I'm going to jump tracks to love.

Today, I was at my writing class and we read our assignments out loud while the others read along. Everyone loved my piece on Maddie and thought it was really cute. But the essay that really caught my attention was by Katie M. She wrote an essay based on a conversation she had with her 85-year-old widower father Katie asked her dad about his "lady friends" and if they were just friends.

His answer was so touching that I'm sure that Katie wouldn't mind if I paraphrased it for this blog post (plus, I'm pretty sure I know all my readers and she's not one of them):
My friends are just friends, and they'll stay that way. Your mother is the love of my life even though she's gone. Love is that feeling. Love comes from that one person, and you never know when it'll show up or where it comes from. She brought out the best in me, and the worst in me, too. She challenged me, and made me the best man I could be. When you have a love like that, the best kind, you don't settle for anything less.

I think that's one of the best definitions of love I've ever heard. Makes me sigh a little bit (or more than a little bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment