background

Friday, June 11, 2010

June Run/Walks - A Double Dose

Remember when I totally goofed on that January event? Well, I'm going to make up for it in June by doing two run/walks.

First: A good friend of mine, Melissa, has a brother who has Epilepsy. This year I am going to join her team Jay-Walkers (named so for her brother Jason), and run in Brainstorm 2010 as part of my 5K challenge. Epilepsy is the medical term used to describe the more than 20 types of seizures. Epilepsy can affect ANYONE, at ANY AGE, at ANY TIME. There are 30,000 individuals affected by epilepsy in our four county Southeast Wisconsin area (Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, and Washington) and 44-50% of those diagnosed with epilepsy are NOT medically controlled at this time.

Please help me help Melissa and her family support the Epilepsy Foundation of Southeast Wisconsin to bring help and hope to individuals affected by seizure disorders! I've met Jason and he is an amazing person! Their whole family is amazing! Check out my fund-raising site to pledge some dollars if you can. You can join Melissa's team too if you'd like and run with us!

The other run/walk I'm going to do is called Sarah's Stride. This event is the first 5K I ever ran, and I'm going to be back! It's June 19 at 3 p.m. and it benefits the Ronald McDonald House. Here's the story: Sarah Hegarty, the event’s namesake, and her family were welcomed and comforted at a Ronald McDonald House for many months. In her memory, Sarah’s Stride has become a tribute to all of the Ronald McDonald House families who are fighting courageous battles against diseases and injuries that no one would wish on any child.

The first time I ran this event, the late Sarah's neice, little Sarah, thought that everyone was there for her instead of her aunt because the race had her name on it! Tugs on the heart strings doesn't it? If you want to help me support the Ronald McDonald House, please sign up online here. Otherwise, you can sign up by printing out the sheet at the link before the last one and mailing it in, or you can sign up race day.

See you at the start line!

No comments:

Post a Comment