background

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Run #1 in the Cold and Dark

Also known as, "What the spoot was I thinking?"

OK, so if there is anything I'm known for, there are probably two things that stand out: one, researching my goofy ideas, and two, trying to do too many things at once. Let's look at these independently, shall we?

First, we'll examine researching ridiculous and/or far fetched ideas. Running, sports gear (like the sweet Road ID at right), playing bag pipes, buying a new car, buying a house, and I'm sure there's more. However, looking at this list, I guess researching things is a good thing. So it wasn't so dumb in the first place. I researched running at night and running in the cold independently. Things I learned were to wear reflective clothes, dress in layers, watch out for ice, and if you're listening to music with headphones, you should leave one ear open to listen for cars or other vehicles among other things.

This leads to the second point of trying to do too many things at once. Usually this means juggling work, sports, clubs and hanging out with all my friends. Or, if you are familiar at all with my post-it filled day planner that I finally had to replace with an electronic version, you'll have a good idea of what I mean. In this case, I decided to run outside last night because my first 5K of this challenge (which I need a good name for - suggestions?) is coming up this weekend. The only time I had yesterday (because I slept too long in the morning before work) was to run after work.



While this wasn't a terrible idea, it wasn't my most brilliant moment either.

So, I'm wearing lots of layers, have my reflective vest on and a blinking red light on my back. I can't stand it when there are runners out at night, and they are wearing all black or other dark colors. I don't know why they don't wear something that makes them more visible because accidents happen! Enough of my ranting...

So off I went with my iPod Touch + Nike going, blinking light, keys and cell phone. I was ready! Or so I thought... First, I noticed that the iPod sensor wasn't picking up my run and I was over a half mile away from home. Drat. Second, ice is really hard to see in the dark despite my nicely lit neighborhood. Third, my neighbors are nice, concientous people who are runner friendly and appreciated my reflective gear.

Once I got the hang of dodging the icy patches and reset my iPod sensor, it was actually very nice. My layers kept me warm, the air wasn't too cold to make breathing difficult, and I might have looked like a shiny, blinking figure in the dark, but I was safe. It all worked out.

Doesn't mean I'm going to do that again, though. If you see me running in outside in winter yet this season, you'll see me bright and early in the morning.

Safe running folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment