background

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'll rest when I'm dead

Dear sadly neglected blog readers,
Today you're going to learn a truth that you might already know, even if you may already be aware of it.
You see, back in high school when I foolishly refused to miss school unless I was contagious, bleeding, or broken, I jam-packed my days with classes, clubs, sports, homework, volunteering and even being in the spring musical my Senior year (insert your guffaws here). I was involved in so many things that my over-achiever-ness was hitting all-time highs. I had a very smart, very competitive class all striving for scholarships and outstanding GPA's. My motto at the time was, "I'll rest when I'm dead."
After my over-achiever self got herself a scholarship to college and charged ahead into the major of her choice and without ever wavering. I did it again. I was in clubs, on student government, played intramural sports, had three internships, traveled, held a job and helped organize the senior farewell reception. Oh yeah, and I remained grade-anal so I could wear the special tassels and get that shiny stamp on my diploma.
Fortunately, while this makes me sound like some crazed, teen-movie do-gooder (which I probably was), I got a full time, benefits-providing job within 3 months of graduation. Whoo hoo! Unfortunately, I didn't learn that it's OK to NOT pack your life full of activities and whatnot landing my 23-year-old butt on my parents' couch with mono. I went from running 5Ks to napping on the landing a measly nine steps up from the first floor. Let me point out that prior to this, I hadn't taken a nap since I had a 12-day hospital stay and 5 surgeries at the age of 10.
Lessons learned: humility, patience and napping.
One kicker here: I sometimes have to relearn those post-mono lessons. Take last week as an example. I managed to get a bazillion things done including being able to show up for the Halloween party dressed as Betty Crocker complete with three dessert options for the other ghouls.
Why am I telling you all this? First, because I apologize for not writing sooner and this is my explanation. Second, because it's my blog and I can. Third, because I have two races coming up this weekend and I want to tell you about them.
I can just imagine you intelligent reader thinking, "Woman, did you not learn anything from the previous paragraphs? Do we need to remind you about the stairs?" Well, I can tell you that I'm running on Saturday and walking on Sunday, so no worries that I'm trying to pull a two-fer.
The first is the Warrior 5K: This 5K and 2.5 mile walk, which serves as a fundraiser and community outreach for the WLC cross country teams. It begins at 10 a.m. at Greenfield Park.
The second is the Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis: This event kicks off at 8:30 a.m. at the Milwaukee County Zoo to benefit the 1.1 million people in Wisconsin who are affected by arthritis or one of it's 100 related diseases.
So, once again, I apologize for neglecting you, my readers, but I hope you'll forgive me and stay tuned for adventures in guitar lessons and my last races of the year!
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment