background

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Cards!

I really love Christmas. It's number 2 on my list of favorite holidays (1. Thanksgiving, 2. Christmas, 3. Easter, 4. My birthday, 5. Fourth of July). I think it's because my family has a lot of traditions with decorating the house, making Christmas cookies, cooking, and writing Christmas cards.


My family is big on cards, and Christmas is no exception. My grandpa will stand in the card aisle at the grocery store and read every card until he finds just the right one. Mom and Dad always make sure to find cards that will make tears come to your eyes. Mike and Lisa find me cards that make me laugh so hard my sides ache. I'm pretty sure the Lang Store folks rub their hands together with glee when they see me head to the note card aisle.

We have big lists of people that we send cards to at Christmas. We even have a joke that if someone makes you angry, they're off the Christmas card list. When someone says that, you know you're in deep do-do. However, if you make the list, you should feel an invisible hug when you open it because we only send cards to those we love!

What sparked this post on Christmas cards? Thanks to Eugene Kane, a columnist with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and his article which you can find here, he reminded me exactly WHY we send cards:

It was always a religious theme. There wasn't much use for Santa Claus in Mom's card display.

Most of the cards came from fellow Christians who viewed the holiday the same way she did. Although my brother and I lived for the gifts, we knew it wasn't just about that.

This was the birthday of someone important.

Christmas cards are a friendly touch and loving reminder that you are important to me and God. It also means that I want to be sure and share the message that God sent his one and only Son, Jesus, to be our Savior. What better way to share than through a Christmas card whether it's stamped or the e-kind.

Like Mr. Kane said, "For me, it's the part of Christmas I hope never changes."

No comments:

Post a Comment