background

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Back in Action

Howdy readers!

I’m not going to waste your time and my blog space to apologize to you once again for my lack o’ posts. Instead, I’m going to let you know that I’m going to revamp this blog slightly to reflect my adventures in crafting, cooking and the great outdoors.

First off, let’s tackle the crafting. My new love: sewing and quilting. Thanks to my mom who taught me all things involving a needle and thread to keep life together (and your clothes intact), I could probably make my own clothes if I had to. Fortunately, coupons and sales keep my love of shopping alive, too!

If you hadn’t guessed since my last, long-ago post, I’ve jumped into quilting! See my adorable baby nephew enjoying my first (almost) solo quilt project:

Isn’t he cute?

I say “almost” solo quilt because I had a few glitches with measuring my seam allowance. Live and learn, friends; live and learn. Again, thanks go to Mom for helping! I’m already planning my next two quilts. However, it’s way too nice outside to sit inside at the sewing machine.

Second, cooking rocks in summer because you have more options than winter. Winter foods are warm and comforting. Winter demands warm, baked treats. Winter is the perfect time to enjoy hearty soups and basically anything that will keep the chill of Wisconsin winters outside from your insides.

Summer cooking means grilled food, chilled desserts and things-on-a-stick. Fortunately, my boyfriend, Steve, is handy with a grill and I’ve enjoyed many delicious cookouts! I also got to have dinner at Sanford in Milwaukee. The owner/head chef once cooked for Julia Child. LOVE.

Sadly, the only plants I can seem to keep alive are my pots of petunias and marigolds. Therefore, I’m really excited that Steve also has a green thumb! As I’m writing this during my lunch break, I’m enjoying a salad with greens from his garden. Yum.

Also, black beans? Where have you bean all my life? You make my day and my salad! I’d provide a picture, but the salad has already been consumed.

My first cooking adventure of the summer was Chicken Teriyaki skewers from scratch. Results: I placed in our office’s cooking competition. I just couldn’t win because I was on the committee… Darn.

My next cooking adventure of the summer: Rhubarb. Steve’s mom has handed me a number of recipes for this pink, celery-like veggie that a grows like bonkers behind his garage. I’ve eaten it and enjoyed it. Now let’s see if I can make some rhubarb deliciousness happen. I’ll report the results.

In other cooking news, I want to be this girl’s friend: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/postcollegekitchen.html

Third, I’ve decided to run a half marathon: http://www.foxcitiesmarathon.org/halfMarathon.html. I’ll be training for the next 10 weeks and letting you know how it’s going. Today’s training says “rest”. Check.

I’ve got lots of other things coming up including my longest camping trip yet, softball, running, and more. I’ll keep the bandages, ibuprofen and bug spray handy!

Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment